Thursday, October 16, 2008

Noqaq sutiyki gringo

Learning a new language from scratch is hard work! I am now able to
carry on a very basic conversation in quechua, and on a couple of
occasions, I have been able to understand a word or two here and there
spoken on the street by the locals. Wears me out, but it's kind of fun
to be picking it up, however slowly.

Between the dry air and the terrible sunburn I got the second day I was
here, I look like I'm developing some terrible skin condition. I've
lost about three layers of skin on the back of my neck. Emily tells me
that my grandfather would tell me to put suntan lotion on. She's right,
but I'm hoping it won't come to that (I hate the stuff). I'm hoping
I'll be able to track down a nice fedora with a brim, having stupidly
left my awesome crushable fedora at home in Colorado. The fact of the
matter is, there isn't much time when I'm not wearing a long-sleeved
shirt anyways, and wearing shorts would be like walking around with a
flashing sign that says "Tourist: Mug Me." I didn't even bring a pair.
Not that I exactly blend in here... So the only thing that needs
shading is my head. And a hat will do that.

I just want to avoid the floppy tourist-hat look. If you know what I mean.

Emily and I are definitely adopting dark-skinned children so my kids
don't have to deal with this curse of the pasty.

1 comment:

Good Karma said...

I am requesting one girl and one boy... can we get started on that when you get home??

Love you! Emily