Monday, October 20, 2008

As yet another birthday gift...

...McDonald's is opening in the main plaza in Cusco. Frankly, I would
rather a Taco Bell or a Pollo Campero (if I might be so bold), but I'll
take what I can get. They'll get plenty of competition from the local
francise of Bembo's, a Peruvian burger chain that's right across the
plaza and looks pretty slick (although I haven't actually checked to see
if the burgers are more than 5mm thick.) The only downside to Bembo's
may be that they lack the free WiFi that may make McDonald's my second
home.

For those of you who would complain about the opening of a symbol of
neo-imperialism in the heart of the old Incan Empire, I would suggest
that globalization works both ways--these same forces may bring us
really good papa a huancaina in Boulder.

They have, after all, already brought us the Pupusa place on North
Broadway--an El Salvadorian restaurant that's run by a bunch of Mexican
guys which was originally recommended to be by the American son of
Guatemalan immigrants while at a hostel in Guatemala, and which I have
since recommended to other Boulderites in Honduras, Guatemala, and the US.

They also serve Mexican coke.

There are probably more ways to get other countries into this story, but
I think my globalization schtick may be a little worn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that papusa place. Perfect after a long mountain-bike ride.

Dan said...

I love taco Bell. MMMMMM Why pay more menu! Sorry Neo-imperialism?? way over my head. Have fun on your adventures / work/ school stuff. Take care
Brother Dan Lawson