Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Heading Out Again

I'm currently sitting in terminal C of Denver International Airport,
watching the beginning of what looks like a beautiful sunrise. I'm
heading out of Denver for Atlanta, Miami, and ultimately, Lima, Peru
this evening.

Although I've felt in limbo the last couple of weeks here, and didn't
get the one thing completed that I had planned for this month, I did
have a fantastic break with Emily, I got rested up, and I got a lot
closer to defending my dissertation prospectus (my one solid goal). I
also had a nice visit with my mom and dad, who came out earlier in
September, and some nice get-togethers with people in the department and
other friends.

If all goes well, I will spend a couple days in Lima, then I'll take a
bus to Cusco towards the end of the week and be there on Saturday (the
11th of October). I'll be in a guesthouse from the 11th until the 18th
or so, then I move in with a family (hopefully, a Quechua-speaking
family, so I can practice my language skills).

My lessons begin on the 13th (Monday), and continue on up until December.

The only other things I have scheduled for the time being are a meeting
with Miguel Jaramillo, a colleague of Krister's and the guy who
orchestrated the Peru surveys, during the first week of November, and my
flight back to Denver for Christmas, which is on Christmas Eve Day.

I started missing Emily before I even left, and I'm already looking
forward to getting back. Only 78 days to go until I see her again...

But, as she said, my job is to have a good time and get some good work
done in the process.

Even so, I'm looking forward to getting this language training and
fieldwork over with, so that we don't have to be apart again for a long
time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glenn, you're sounding just like me, especially when I was sitting at DIA having the same thoughts. Have a great time and 78 days is not so long. Keep me posted along the way!

zane said...

Have a good time Glenn, we all miss you back here.