Saturday, October 18, 2008

Me, hats, and Harrison Ford

As Zane knows, one of the things that I admire about Sam Fitch is the
fact that he is one of the few people I know who can really pull off
wearing a hat with a brim in this day and age. I (like most admirers of
Indiana Jones) love the fedora etc., but (although I own like four
fedoras and the like) I feel a little silly wearing one.

Nevertheless, I find myself the owner of another Peruvian fedora
today--my second--after losing several layers of skin in a particularly
painful way at the hands of the thin Andean air and needing a hat that
will do a better job of allowing me to ward off a case of skin cancer
for a while.

I feel a little less silly, though, after having two conversations about
the hat.

The first was with Lucy, the mom in the house, who told me a story about
how a former student of the school that stayed in their house was robbed
in Venezuela but didn't lose any credit cards because he had them stored
in his hat.

The second was a conversation with the Canadian gal who is also staying
here. She was impressed with the purchase.

So I think I'll keep it. And I'll be putting a credit card or two inside.

No comments: