Sunday, October 12, 2008

Lima Architecture

First off, I realize that this is getting ridiculous. I must have
posted three blog entries today. And it looks even worse because all of
my posts from the past week went up yesterday. I have work to do, but
I'm evidently finding an effective way of putting it off. But I've been
thinking this for three days and I wanted to put it up before I forgot.

Moving on...

Lima is a mecca for mid-century architecture and on back to the colonial
period. Including at least three styles of early 19th century
architecture (Moorish, French, and Spanish-style construction), early
20th-century Victorians, Art Deco style... the works.

Most of the buildings are grimy and decaying. But they're still
beautiful. I wish I could have gotten some pictures, but I didn't feel
like walking down a busy street in the run-down central part of Lima was
a good time to advertise my status as a wealthy gringo. "Hey! Mug me!"

It's like a slightly seedier, dirtier version of Manhattan.

Which gets me to my next point. I am totally convinced that the
Peruvians are going to be one of the shining stars of Latin America's
21st century. In thirty years, this country will be like another
world. If only they could get their wacky electoral laws squared away.

No comments: