Saturday, July 22, 2017

July 9: Alaska, at last!

On the 9th, experienced excellent paddling conditions and was able to make it just over the border into Alaska, to spend the night on Sitklan Island, in a pretty cove with a good view of Dundas Island and Dixon Entrance.

The whole area North of Prince Rupert is really quite beautiful. Though I know it could be really dangerous under the wrong conditions, it has long, beautiful beaches in many places, and the open horizon gives it a feel much different from most of the rest of the inside passage. I would gladly go back and spend more time.
Looking a little tropical in Alaska!

My crossing of Portland Canal went without incident, and I stopped for an early dinner in the Boston Islands, on a pretty clamshell beach. From there, I crossed over into Alaska, feeling a little sappy. Tried to remember the words to the Alaska Flag Song as I crossed the border.

Lots of fishing vessels in between Sitklan Island and Kananganut island when I pulled in for the night; appeared to be a gillnet opener going on.

The campsite I found was suitable, given the tides, but the landing was very rocky at low (would be better at higher tides) and I couldn't find a good upland site. Likely, there are better places to camp nearby, including (according to Miller's book) a nearby cove on Kananganut. It was late, however, when I pulled in, and I didn't go any further to investigate.

No comments: