Sunday, July 23, 2017

July 10, Sitklan Island to the Delong Islands

My first full day paddling in Alaska was really lovely--one of my best so far--though that may be my pro-Alaska bias showing. Got a relatively early start and headed out around Garnet Point, at the Southern tip of Kananganut Island. From there on, I passed gillnetter after gillnetter, one after the other, often no more than a few hundred yards apart, as I worked my way up Revillagigedo Channel.

Kitchen on the beach in the DeLong Islands
I crossed Nakat Bay from Garnet Point across to Cape Fox, stopping briefly for a snack and some coffee in the Lord Islands. There, I pulled out on a beautiful clamshell beach, disturbing some nearby seals in the process. I was a little embarrassed to drive them off the beach, but as I glided into shore, I could see smaller seals--presumably, curious teenagers--swimming towards my kayak underwater, visible against the white beach sand underwater. I sat for several minutes, watching them swim towards me, then turn around and swim back to the safety of some nearby rocks. Eventually, a few were brave enough to swim directly under the kayak, no more than a few feet away. Cool! Better than watching them at the Seattle Aquarium!

After finishing the crossing at Cape Fox, I paddled up the mainland shore for several hours, enjoying beautiful paddling weather (that is, overcast and calm) and a favorable tide. Stopped briefly near the Tree Point light, with several old structures in evidence from when the lighthouse was still staffed. It appeared to me that it might be possible to enter the lighthouse on the ground floor and even maybe camp inside, though I didn't investigate any more closely than a long glance from my kayak.

That afternoon, made good progress, and ultimately decided to call it a day in the DeLong Islands, where I had a record of a known campsite. Was able to find another pretty clamshell beach, complete with a driftwood shelter built by an earlier kayaker. Rain was in the forecast, so I set my tarp over the driftwood shelter for a more comfortable evening and breakfast in the morning. There was also a very comfortable upland site just behind the beach. Certainly one of my best campsites of the trip.

No comments: