Friday, July 21, 2017

July 4, Klewnuggit Inlet to Gunboat Harbor

Klewnuggit Inlet
Carl and I debated whether we would be within sight of the United States by the 4th of July--he thought it unlikely while I thought it possible. As it turns out, he was right (as usual). We made good progress on the 4th, making it out of Grenville Channel, and finding a campsite in the evening on Bloxam Island, in the Gibson Group, at a place called Gunboat Harbor. There, we found another nice beach campsite, but even if higher peaks in the coastal range inside the US might have been visible (unlikely), we couldn't see them because of overcast and fog.

That night, however, we were within sight of the very small community of Oona River, and close enough to Prince Rupert that I tried my cell phone (unsuccessfully) to see if we had reception. I was happy to be out of Grenville Channel (afraid of getting trapped by contrary winds) but had found the channel quite pretty; enjoyed the passage.

No comments: