Friday, April 24, 2009

Selva musings

First, when your inerviewee launches immediately into an explanation of his efforts to convert cocaleros to legitimate crops, despite the fact that you never even brought up coca, does that mean he thinks you're in the DEA? Because I would think that my moustache pretty much disqualifies me.

Second, why are random people on the street here so talkative, while all of my interviewees clearly have no interest in talking to me?

Third, how can the local forestry chamber of commerce afford air conditioning? Maybe #1 has something to do with it?

Fourth, what's a conversation with a Shipibo native guy worth? Because I think I spent about $9 on junk, but had a pretty good conversation.

Fifth, why would you buy a hummer H3 down here, even if you were involved in the coca trade?

Sixth, to echo my comments the other day on facebook, the pizza I had this evening makes me wonder, "what food products aren't made better by putting fried bananas on top?" Although I could have passed on the egg, sunny-side up.

Seventh, I wonder what Bolivian war hero I will be compared to when I'm over there. I'm "¡Admiral Grau!" here. Weird, because that dude had sideburns.

No comments: