Wednesday, April 22, 2009

First impressions of Pucallpa

Made it to Pucallpa this morning after a largely sleepless night one
planes ans sitting in the Lima airport. Why is it that I can only sleep
easily on planes after 3AM?

The airport was amusing. Plane lands, you walk down some stairs and
walk across the runway to the passenger terminal, then some guys hand
pull the luggage carts over to the terminal and put it on a rotating
baggage carousel. Why they have a rotating baggage carousel, I have no
I idea. I also have no idea why they don't have a vehicle to pull the
baggage carts. Although I suppose it isn't really necessary, either.

Although my hotel is a separated by a few metaphysical degrees from the
ideal travelers hangout, Pucallpa so far is an interesting place, and
quite a change from the places I've visited so far in Peru. It's down
in the Amazon, and is hot and humid. The hotel itself is secure and
clean, and although I could pay extra for air conditioning, I've got a
room with a ceiling fan and cold water. So far, seems comfortable enough.

The city itself is something of a low-altitude version of Huaraz. It's
a newer place, with metal roofs and brick and concrete (and shanty)
construction, and no visible signs of the colonial era. Although there
are some people walking around the streets in indigenous (Amazon
indigenous) clothing, the population here seems mostly mestizo, or at
least acculturated to Spanish/Gringo/European ways of doing things.

Pucallpa is located on the shore of the Ucayali river, which is a
tributary of the Amazon. Boats depart from here for Iquitos, and it is
apparently possible to work your way down to the Amazon and to the
Brazilian coast from here, though it would be a long trip, and with few
of the comforts of, say the Alaska Marine Highway system's M/V Leconte
(That's a joke, I think. Although I kind of miss the Leconte.)

My mission this afternoon is to find the district government building.
I hope to get started with interviews tomorrow.

No comments: