Thursday, August 14, 2008

The plan

So, I'm going to cut out of Panajachel one day early--I don't really
have any interviews that I can do very easily without going to another
village and setting up shop there, which will most likely take more than
a day--so I'm going to head out a day early for the ruins at Copán,
Honduras, which I've been hoping to see all summer.

I've been doing some early Christmas shopping, and in the process, I've
picked up a pretty big bundle of crap, so I'm going to forgo the chicken
buses mañana in favor of a tourist shuttle to Guatemala city tomorrow,
where I'll pick up a Greyhound-style "pullman" bus to, I think
Esquipulas, where there is an interesting (modern) religious site. From
there, I'll head by bus to the Guate./Honduras border, and on to Copán.
Saturday and Sunday, I'll be down there, and I'll be back in Antigua for
Monday and Tuesday, then my flight out of Guate. on Wed/Thurs, with a
13-hour layover in Mexico City (I've been under-budget enough that I
could pay the exorbitant fee for a reservation in a hotel room in the
D.F. airport Holiday Inn, spending the equivalent of about two weeks of
my typical Guatemalan lodging in a single night.

On the road again...
Like a band of gypsies, we roll down the highway...

But really, I'm looking forward to getting home for a bit, seeing Emily,
sleeping in my own bed, and having a nice cup of tea!

No comments: