Friday, August 1, 2008

Guatemalan Restaurants

I bash Guatemalan food a lot, but I have to say, the other day, I
ordered a breakfast with eggs that didn't come with beans, and I kind of
missed them. That's a little troubling, and I think I've gained a
couple of pounds this trip, in the process of getting used to refried
beans twice a day. I'll be glad to be in Bolivia, though, where
Salteñas are on the menu, along with yogurt and bread.

That said, my favorite restaurants down here to date:

1. Restaurante Nick's Place in San Pedro--best pizza I've ever had,
short of the Mexican place in Sitka, Alaska (with portraits of Emiliano
Zapata up all over the place).
2. The Bonanza (I think I called it something different before, but
it's the Bonanza) in Toto, where you can get my dream breakfast: two
pancakes, two scrambled eggs, coffee, and bananas.
3. Picadilly in Uspantán, where the "American" breakfast includes corn
tortillas.
4. Little coffee place in San Pedro up from the Pana dock that serves
you espresso in a paper cup, with coffee bushes in the backyard and
beans roasting out front.
5. Mi Taco Express in Usp., which the peace corps folks call "Fat Kid
Mexican." Seriously good stuff--and what a friendly family that runs
the place!
6. Sarita's, the Guatemalan ice cream joint. Love the banana split.
Not too many places where ice cream sundaes are that good, and they come
in a reasonable size for a change... Of course, if you show up on the
right day looking for cartons of ice cream, you just might be forced to
buy their entire stock, which consists of a liter and a half of
chocolate and strawberry.
7. And what list of Guatemalan restaurants would be complete without
that Scion of Guatemalan Exports, Pollo Campero? Where the mascot on
the sign seems to happily exclaim, "come on in and consume my brethren."

No comments: