Saturday, July 19, 2008

Market Day

Actually, every day is market day here in Xela. But I walked up the the
Mercado La Democracia, which I hadn't visited when I was here last
year. About what you'd expect. You can buy everything from $1.50
pirated DVD's to the Sony Funstation. That's not typo, folks.
Personally, I got ripped off for the first time this trip (as far as I
can tell) to the tune of $.50 for a bottle of ostensibly purified water
which appears to be a refilled bottle, most likely filled up with a
gentle concoction of Giardiasis and Di-Hydrogen Oxide.

I bought a new billfold--the little denim pouch that I've been using for
years on trip like this has developed a hole that, for the first time,
is big enough to let money fall out (although only the .5 Quetzal coins
that are smaller than dimes. What is a .5 Quetzal, anyways? I think
about half a cent. No big loss.

Billfold cost me about $1.75, though it isn't exactly what I had been
hoping to find.

Rainy and cold here now. But I'm glad I'm here, rather than in the hot
weather in CO, or in the Guatemalan lowlands, for that matter!

Aubrey, if you're reading this, I want you to know that I'm no longer in
the most expensive hotel in town--things are more expensive here in
Xela. Had to settle for a "budget" choice with a small room and a
shared bathroom. Runs about $8/night. Including breakfast. Of course,
we'll see what that consists of tomorrow morning...

But my lodging in Uspántan had a shower with two functioning knobs!
Sometimes, the water actually got too hot!

No comments: