Monday, February 16, 2009

Venezuela vs. Bolivia

I don't understand why today's story on the vote in Venezuela which describes Uncle Hugo's victory--the voting was 55% in his favor for an end to presidential term limits--is described as a "decisive victory" by the New York Times, while Evo Morales' victory of last month, which was about 10 percentage points greater in favor of an even greater change, was described as "divisive" and "demonstrating how divided Bolivia really is." Perhaps this is just unclear writing--I haven't been in Bolivia, so I don't know how divided the country really feels to an insider--but my suspicion is that the article about Bolivia was really written to play up the same kinds of sensationalism that often plagues Latin American journalism. And I wonder (hopefully unjustifiably) about how "inside" the NYT correspondent in Bolivia really is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My hubby wrote about the NYT Bolivia-Venezuela coverage for a class about 7 years ago and it was the same, made no sense without further research. -DZ-