Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

And by the way, happy Thanksgiving, all!

"Thanksgiving: We were fundamentalists before you were!"

The story has everything:
1. Religious fundamentalism
2. A military captain that was so short that he had to shorten his
sword by 6"
3. Funny hats
4. Anticommunism
5. Great chase scenes (though mostly on foot).
6. Religious persecution
7. Several possible roles for Bruce Campbell
8. The exiling of dissidents to Rhode Island

A fate worse than death, really.

As my good friend William J. Bourke would say, "I kid because I love."
Mostly, I love the cranberry sauce that arrives in the shape of a can,
and the pie. I'll take any kind, but I'm especially fond of the
mincemeat. I'll pass on the turkey and green bean casserole.

I also like Rhode Island. The state's only okay, but the accent is the
best. And there's a pretty good Boy Scout camp there.

Thanksgiving makes for something of a strange story, really. According
to historian Nathanial Philbrick, the whole time the Pilgrims were in
Massachussets, they really wished they were back in the Netherlands.
Can't say I agree with that. If there's one place I'm not inclined to
go (other than Checnya), it would be Kashmir. But after that, it's
Holland. And then Disneyland. Where they also celebrate "Dia de accion
de gracias." Gracias a diós.

No comments: