Friday, July 6, 2018

Outer South Baranof: July 6, 2018, Sitka to Koka I. Passage

After a set of delays due to weather and cancelled ferry runs, I finally got on the road on the 6th of July, driving a friend's minivan; he needed the vehicle out in Sitka, and if I drove it on the ferry for him, he would avoid an unaccompanied vehicle fee and I wouldn't have to pay extra for my kayak.  It also meant that I would be able to launch from downtown Sitka (actually just to the South, near the Sitka Sound Science Center, where there is a convenient place to put in), rather than near the ferry terminal, on the other end of the road system.  That saved me a few hours of paddling, though it also meant I didn't get to paddle through Sitka; maybe not the best choice, though it seemed like a good decision at the time.

After a sleepless night (believe it or not, too hot in Juneau for me to sleep!), boarded the ferry on the 6th of July early in the morning (5:30AM).  Enjoyed my ride on the Fairweather--a beautiful, fast boat and one of the newest boats in the Alaska Marine Highway System fleet that, because of neglect and mismanagement, the State of Alaska has decided to mothball.  A sin.

After shuffling the car and my kayak, got on the water by 2:30, then headed SW across the scattered islands in that part of Sitka Sound, and through a fair number of salmon seiners doing their work.

Salmon seiner working in Sitka Sound

Passed several good potential campsites on my way; one at Pirate Cove just NE of Cape Burunof, and another just S, in Three Entrance Bay.  These sites clearly see some local use.  Also passed a beautiful clam shell beach just SE fo Povorotni Pt., which would make a nice campsite for a small number of paddlers.  Ultimately, decided to camp above a beach on the Southern most Islet W of Koka I. Passage.  Shared the area for a few hours with some young people with a power boat who seemed to be out for the afternoon, but they took off well before dark and I had the place to myself for the night.  All in all, a successful day--12 mi. total, respectable given the mid afternoon start.

No comments: