Saturday, July 7, 2018

Outer South Baranof: July 7, Koka I. Passage to Aspid Cape

Beautiful but uneventful day.

Up around 8 (typical for me), and paddled off the beach by 10 under a low ceiling with little view.  Bit of a headwind today, but didn't have any trouble making miles (probably no more than 5 kts all day).

Paddled by Goddard Hot Springs without stopping, then headed through the Rakof Islands--a series of small islets in between the mouths of Crawfish Inlet and Walker Channel.  Pretty waters, but didn't find any obvious spots to break or camp.

Had my first real open water of the trip W of Elevoi I., where I started to experience a little low swell (just a few feet) and saw a bunch of sea otters.

In the afternoon, crossed Walker Channel to Aspid Cape, and found a nice campsite above a beach which is itself at the base of a pretty tombolo just W of Yamani Cove.  Little did I know, I should have paddled a bit further into the cove itself, with beautiful beaches and an old village site.  Still, the campsite I found was comfortable and had water.   I was a bit surprised that the camping options in the area weren't better, but, although there are many beaches, they seem to often be inaccessible at low tide, sitting above and behind rocky (possibly basalt) ledges.

Looking Southeast near Aspid Cape

Had planned to paddle a bit after dinner, but decided to settle in at Aspid after dinner, rather than doing the long crossing to North Cape, unsure of what I would find when I got there.  No need to worry, as North Cape is a beautiful spot with lovely camping, but I of course didn't know that until the following day.

A bit intimidated by the open water paddling to come!

No comments: