Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May 23, Faye Bainbridge to Skunk Bay

For good or for ill, today did not go as planned.

Got a great start! Up at 4AM (which is unbelievably early for me) in order to catch a good chunk of the early morning ebb and avoid the afternoon winds that were predicted to come through with a cold front traveling East from the Pacific. Launched with the sunrise (literally true--was actually pushing off just as the sun came up over Seattle). The early morning paddle was beautiful, with views of Rainier and Mt. Baker, and close encounters with porpoises and seals.

Caught a wild ride by the poetically named Point No Point--a tide rip there caused big and confusing seas that really kept me on my toes for a mile or two. After that, smooth sailing for about a half hour until I got about half way across Skunk Bay, which is a small, Northeasterly-facing bay on the far Northern end of the Kitsap Peninsula (hope I'm getting the geography right). Very quickly, though, glassy seas turned to very strong (35 mph?) winds that kicked up big, steep waves. Had me fighting to hang on. Very slowly worked my way across the bay, bracing with almost every stroke, before pulling out just shy of the appropriately-named Foulweather Bluff. By that time, it was clear that I was not going to make it much farther today--the high winds were predicted to increase and a gale warning was issued for tonight, until 2AM--but ready camping spots were not in great supply. I might camp near the bluff, but the narrow beach there, at the foot of eroding cliffs, might disappear during the 3AM high tide, especially if the winds continued, and most of the waterfront land here is privately owned and developed.

Skunk Bay, looking a little better than earlier
Long story short, I found a passable campsite at the top of the beach on an undeveloped stretch of land in between some houses. It probably will survive the high tide tonight and hopefully I'll make it through the night without a visit from a neighbor or local police officer!

Discouraging to not make my objective today, but under other circumstances, this might be a near-ideal campsite.

Weather is predicted to clear up for tomorrow (in fact, the front that created all that wind has visibly moved through now), so my hope is that I'll be able to make it to Port Townsend or further, and get back on schedule.

No comments: