Friday, May 26, 2017

May 24-26, Skunk Bay to Odlin County Park

Another beautiful sunset, this one at
Odlin County Park, San Juan Islands
Made it to Odlin County Park on Lopez Island this evening, after crossing Rosario strait from Flounder Bay--needed to stop in town to stock up on snacks after a crow got into an enormous bag of GORP on Day 1. Crossing went smoothly--made good enough time that I was able to beat a sailboat across after he passed me just out of Flounder Bay. Until the wind completely died and he turned on his outboard.

Lots of vessel traffic today--Memorial Day weekend.

My ride into Flounder Bay this AM was greatly helped by a tidal current from my stay last night, at Deception Pass State Park. I think it was about seven miles, and I did it in about an hour and a half. Left my boat on the beach there for a quick snack run, after a short conversation with a fisherman/whitewater raftsman/homeless guy. Nice guy who said he had been sleeping there on the beach and leaving his raft/tender tied up for several days with no trouble; figured I could leave my boat for 20 minutes! Then had a nice phone call with my folks while I ate Hostess Cupcakes and drank soda.

Last night (Thursday Night) at Deception Pass, had trouble finding the marine trails campsite. Wound up camping in the wrong spot by mistake--confusion over directions maybe coupled with a little bit of wishful thinking on my part, looking longingly at the immaculate day use area, where I thought the site was. Was approached by the campground hosts--a lovely older couple--who weren't sure where the site was either, but promised to check with a ranger. In the end, they let me stay were I was, and I got several very nice conversations out of the deal, including an interesting discussion about the CCC history of the park. A beautiful spot, which is being lovingly restored to its original trim by Washington State and volunteers.
Marrowstone Light, Puget Sound

Thursday was an adventure!

Crossed over to Whidbey Island from Port Townsend (Fort Worden State Park) with no trouble; just a long haul. Timed the crossing to start at slack so I wouldn't have to deal with potential tide rips on the Port Townsend side. My paddle up the outer coast of Whidbey was mostly uneventful, except for two white knuckle moments landing in minor surf when it was time for breaks. The crossing across the mouth of the famed Deception Pass was also a little lumpy from the tidal current, but at this stage of the game, I may be starting to feel more comfortable in random tidal waves.

Soon-to-be barely dry campsite at Skunk Bay
Wednesday, paddled from Skunk Bay, near Foulweather Bluff on the North end of the Kitsap Peninsula. Was caught there the night before by bad weather, in a less-than-ideal and possibly illegal campsite on a heavily developed shoreline. Had a few nervous moments crossing converging channels in the flood tide East of Foulweather Bluff, but then was able to stop for water (coming out of the most appealing drainage culvert I've ever seen) and paddle, without incident, to Fort Worden/Port Townsend down the East Coast of Marrowstone island, which was notable for its interesting geology, tremendous numbers of schooling smolt, interesting residential architecture, and an enormous and creative variety of constructions built to access the beach from the bluffs above; everything from ladders to stairs of poured concrete. Many systems are literally falling off the cliff sides as the bluffs erode. Prize for best system goes to the funicular-like cable car bolted to rocks at the top and bottom of the bluff.

No comments: