Friday, July 13, 2012

A New UAF Terrain Park

So, UAF (the University of Alaska, Fairbanks) is apparently building a terrain park on campus, out on the West Ridge.  Frankly, it's about damn time.  My understanding is that Fairbanks had downhill ski trails as recently as the '80s, but blocked them off because they were afraid of the liability risks.  Pansies.

I don't know how real our fears of being sued are, but it always seemed a little ridiculous to me that they had placed fences over the old trails, then erected enormous warning signs, letting us know not to sled or ski there because we might be injured by the "intermittent fencing."

Sounds like they're considering a rope tow as their first lift.  Which is awesome.  Allow me to express here my strongly pro-surface lift platform.  Though I would have to consult with the other members of my political party to find out if that contradicts our conventional support for wool knickers (not in the British sense, hippie--get your mind out of the gutter) and leather, lace-up ski boots.  Regardless, I feel very strongly that all new skiers should be introduced to the sport by having to struggle to stand upright as they cling to an enormous, heavy, prickly manila rope.  Also, getting clocked in the back of the head by a T-bar should remain an important skiing milestone.

Makes me wonder if UAS should seek to promote skiing in some greater way, beyond just putting pictures of students in ski gear on the web page, and beyond employing Kevin Krein.  We have much greater snow sport potential in Juneau than they do up in Fairbanks, including the most remarkable 1500 vertical feet of lift-served ski terrain I know of out on Douglas Island.

No comments: