Tuesday, September 9, 2008

EPIRBs

Blattman has discovered the EPIRB (personal locator beacon):

http://chrisblattman.blogspot.com/2008/09/links-i-liked_08.html

I'm surprised it took him so long. I've wanted one of those for years,
but had to settle for a handheld VHF radio when I was kayaking. It's
one of four things I'd like to own for being on the water:

1. I'd like to finish my half-built kayak back in CT.
2. I'd also love to own a feathercraft Khatsalano--a folding kayak that
fits into a large duffle bag. It would be perfect for Lakes Atitlan and
Titicaca.
3. An EPIRB
4. A tuilik--an Inuit garmet that looks like a waterproof sweatshirt,
but ties down to the cockpit coaming of the kayak to keep you dry when
you eskimo roll, and also covers your head--much more comfortable than a
wetsuit. You can buy them made of neoprene, but I would make one out of
coated nylon.

No comments: