Wednesday, March 11, 2009

High Heels

So, as another way to squeeze a blog entry out of what probably should be only a comment, I wanted to respond to Aubrey's comment on high heels.

In brief:
1. I don't think high heels were invented by violent criminals. Just abusive husbands, at a time when abuse was commonplace and socially acceptable (personally, I'm thinking Victorian era, but probably a lot earlier than that).
2. I kind of like cobblestones, but I'll compromise with flagstones.
3. During the Spanish-American War, the "rough riders" were shod in cowboy boots, because they were supposed to be cavalry. But they lost their horses along the way. So they charged San Juan hill on foot, and were known by other soldiers as "Wood's Weary Walkers" (Wood was the first commander). Weary, because of the heeled cowboy boots.

So, take that, heeled shoes!

In other news, I find it extremely amusing that Aubrey's explanations for the persistence of high heels includes "institutional stickiness." Nerds, we are.

No comments: