Friday, January 23, 2009

Dentistry Fun!

Faithful readers, as some of you may have gathered from my Facebook page, I had to make something of an emergency trip to the dentist yesterday, as one of my fillings came out the day before.

I was quite nervous about going to a 3d world dentist--in the end, it worked out pretty well. It turns out I needed a second filling (pretty bad cavity in one of my back teeth), and I got the two fillings done for about $60. Lucy tells me this is a little steep for here, but that this guy does a good job. Still, not bad at all. It also took about an hour, including time spent in the waiting room. I guess when they don't use any medication, they don't need to ask you if you're allergic to any medicines, etc.

The bad news is, Peruvian dentists don't use novocaine. Not unless you're screaming. So I got two fillings done without any anesthetic. It was awesome. To be fair, the dentist was pretty good about asking "Does it hurt?" pretty regularly, and stopping when necessary.

In other news, like my Quechua instructor, all of the other teachers at the school, the taxista I rode downtown with, and the old lady who sells jelly door to door, the dentist was an Obama supporter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you could have anesthesia (just the shot, mind you) for anything other than getting your teeth pulled until I moved to the US. -Denise Z.-