Monday, December 15, 2008

Quechua Fusion and Christmas

I've been listening to this Andean band for the last couple of weeks,
called "Alborada," in order to practice my Quechua listening skills.
It's pretty slow and clearly pronounced, so I have an easier time of it
(although I still don't know what's going on most of the time).

The wacky thing is, this is a "Quechua Fusion" band, which is evidently
a fusion of Andean music and new age music. Which makes this music kind
of like listening to Enya with a lot of Zampoña and with words in Quechua.

In other news, I've gotten another haircut today (exciting life,
right?). This one was a little more expensive than the last one,
costing me (after tip) about $1.60.

Looking forward to heading home in about a week for Christmas. I'll be
in Colorado for a couple weeks, getting home on Christmas Eve, then
coming back here on the 12th of January. I'm thrilled to get a little
bit of time with Emily, and I'm also looking forward to getting some
Taco Bell and some skiing in.

I love traveling, and I love Peru, but traveling down here has a way of
making you patriotic for the US. It doesn't take too long dealing with
Peruvian government (or even private) bureaucracy to long for the good
old Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. And I'm a fan of Inka Kola
and Peruvian burger chain Bembo's, but I miss Qdoba and Taco Bell.

No comments: